Friday, April 29, 2011

What Keeps Me Going at Work


As you all probably know by now, I recently started a new full-time job as a Drug & Alcohol Rehabilitation Counselor at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center. We are a 7-day-a-week clinic working with patients with severe opiate addictions. As you can imagine, most of my days end up being exhausting, fast-paced, and overwhelming. With my clientele, no two days are alike, and it can be an emotional roller coaster. However, I am thoroughly enjoying my position thus far, as most of the patients and staff I work with are truly extraordinary human beings. I leave work each day feeling like I have done something worthwhile, which makes me feel very lucky and blessed to have found such a great career so soon after college.



That being said, there are still many moments (and hours...and days...) where I am so stressed and frazzled I want to pull my hair out!



But there are a few things that have been keeping me going, even on the craziest of days......


America, and Coco, runs on Dunkin.


My workspace can get sort of cluttered, but at least I can sneak onto my blog reader from time to time...


...and I have some pretty (fake) flowers to brighten my days.



I try to wear cute outfits so I at least look good, even if I feel exhausted:



And my patients and I can all benefit from a little inspiration...


At the end of the day, before I head home, I always press this nifty little button...


...and then I have one of these:


(Ok, ok, so I wait until I get home for that last one, but still).


So there you have it. It's the little things (like staff meeting pizza parties or birthday luncheons) that get me through my hectic days.




Do you enjoy your job?
What gets you through your workdays?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...