Tuesday, January 3, 2012

How do I write a New Year's post that isn't cliche...

...I've come to the conclusion that it just isn't possible. So, bear with me (or just skip this post if you're sick of New Year's posts).

I am not necessarily a huge fan of "New Year's Resolutions", per se. My personal opinion is: if you want something, go for it NOW, whether it's January or July!

However, there is something about the reality of time passing each year that makes us more aware of what is going on in our lives--what our goals were last year and how we did, and what our goals are for the year ahead.

Here is where I was last year and how I've measured up:


2011 Goals


Personal:

Remember: I am my #1 priority. (This is still a work in progress.)
Practice saying “No” when appropriate. (YES. I have made lots of progress on this one!)
Accept myself as I am without trying to change. (I actually want to revoke this--I think change is good...haha)
Be confident in my intelligence, beauty, and ability as a human being whether I am in a relationship or not.
(I did a great job with this one by dating around and being single for awhile, and finally found a great guy once I was comfortable on my own.)
Set aside 15 minutes per day to do something completely calming for myself, like journaling, taking a bubble bath, or reading for pleasure.
(I am working on this one--it's tough with a full-time job though!)
Read at least 1 book per month (12 per year).
(Maybe not one per month--some months I read barely at all, other months I read a book a week. But all in all, I have done really well with this one. Thanks to my nook I received in May, it has been even easier!)
Do something social at least once a week (drinks, lunch, coffee, etc.).
(I am absolutely on top of this one!)

Fitness/Health:

Maintain a healthy weight for my body & a positive relationship with food (food is fuel, & it is meant to be savored & enjoyed in moderation).
(This one is up and down, as usual, but the weight is definitely steady.)
Run a 5k or 10k for a good cause (TNT?).
(Noooope. Maybe this year?)
Breast Cancer Walk (Washington, D.C. in May?).
(Negative.)
NEDA walk (look into this).
(Another big, fat NO.)
Yoga at least twice per week (Saturday 9am class w/ Mom, video podcasts/DVDs on my own).
(I am just starting to get into my practice again at home...)
Wear sunscreen/moisturizer EVERY DAY! (Proudly, YES! Skin cancer ain't no joke, folks!)


Financial:
Get a steady job, preferably in my field.
(Yes, thank goodness!)
Put at least 20% of my paycheck each month towards an apartment fund.
(Now about 50% of my paycheck goes towards rent. Bills aren't cheap, friends.)
Save $20 per month to put towards retirement/savings.
(Proudly, I have surpassed this, both with my company's 403(b) Savings Program and my own thriftiness :-) )
Give $10 per month to a charity (NEDA?).
(Ashamed to say, I have NOT done this. I must start doing this more, though!
Learn to manage my money & budget (and time!).
(Still learning, but yes.)
Move into my own apartment by January 2012
(I moved into my own place in March 2011, so I was wayyy ahead on this one--woohoo! P.S. Remember how excited I was?!)



So, as you can see, I failed in some areas (ahem fitness) and rocked in others (career/financial). And you know what? I am totally ok with that. I am at a great place in my life right now with a stable job, a loving boyfriend, a roof over my head, and even some extra money each month for fun things like date nights and the occasional pair of shoes. So what if I haven't achieved all the lofty goals I laid out for myself over a year ago?




This year, I am nixing the "resolutions" and instead I vow to do three simple things: be kind to myself, be kind to others...and call my grandma more often. :-)





Happy New Year!




What is your opinion on New Year's Resolutions--love 'em or hate 'em?






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...