Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Good Things Come to Those Who Wait!

Oh boy, do I have lots to talk about! Where to even begin?!.....

Well, Valentine's Day was a great success. A few hitches but altogether amazing.

So, my Valentine was Ben (B from one of my recent posts). He is the one that took me to a 50's style diner a few weeks ago. We've known each other for about 3 years. We started out as close friends who worked together and then both of us developed feelings for one another, but the timing was never right. I was 18 and he was 19, and we were both just kind of young and stupid and not ready for a commitment.

So anyway, recently he and I have been talking on the phone, texting, etc, and he asked if I wanted to meet up for Valentine's Day on Sunday night, so I said sure why not! He works as an EMT in the town where Susquehanna U. is (he graduated in May), and I live in the Baltimore area, so we decided to meet halfway in Harrisburg, PA. Ben had to go to his little brother's 4th birthday party during the day (he is the oldest of 5 boys! yikes!), so we decided to meet up around 6:30 p.m. for dinner and a movie.

Well, it ended up being after 7 when we finally met up because Ben got caught in a HUGE traffic jam. So, I ended up driving a little farther and we met at the parking lot of a McDonald's (romantic, right? hahaha). I hopped into his car, where 2 mixed CDs were waiting, as well as some adorable handmade presents and cards. I left my car in the parking lot and then he drove to a movie theater about 30 miles away. We spontaneously chose "From Paris, With Love", which is an action movie with John Travolta, but I am honestly into that kind of thing so I was excited.

During the movie, we ended up holding hands and it was cute. Then, when we exited the theater (it was past 11:00pm at this point), it was snowing! So romantic!

Then, we were both suuuper hungry so we went to a McDonald's drive-thru since it was the only thing nearby that was still open on a Sunday night. And you know what? I got an M&M McFlurry which I proceeded to finish in 5 minutes, plus I had some of Ben's french fries! And I felt absolutely ZERO guilt. It wasn't "clean", it was filled with "empty calories", but you know what? Being with him was so much fun and we had such wonderful conversation that the food didn't even matter. I even opened up to him about all of my struggles and he was incredibly understanding and sweet about it.

When we got back to my car, we exchanged silly presents--I got him a toy ambulance that lights up & makes sounds since he is an EMT, and also a stuffed fox because he is "foxy" (yes I'm corny, so sue me). He gave me a bunch of random things, like a candle and tube socks and a teddy bear and chocolate. It was a good mixture of funny and romantic gifts, and I loved it. Then, we kissed for awhile (don't worry, I didn't do anything stupid! haha), and it was absolutely ELECTRIC. By the time I left to drive home, it was 1:00 am! I didn't get home until past 3:00! I had to stop and get a 20 oz coffee during the drive haha.

Basically, this date was fantastic, and we have decided to keep dating. I am really excited about it. He works crazy hours and I have school and we live 2 hours away, but we are going to try and make it work and see what happens. I feel like all of the old feelings from 3 years ago have come flooding back, but Ben and I are both more mature than we were then. We are in a better place to try and make it work. I feel like he is my best friend and I can tell him anything, and we have similar interests and quirky sense of humor.

So, I'm going to try not to get my hopes up TOO much, but I am really hoping this works. I have been single for about a year now, and I feel like I am finally at a point in my recovery where I am ready to let someone in.

***********

In other news, I am back to school after the week off with no snow! It's been quite the adjustment!

************

How was everyone's Valentine's Day weekend? Even if you didn't have a valentine, I hope you all managed to pamper yourselves in some small way. I even told Ben that I have to put myself first in my life in order for me to be a good girlfriend, friend, daughter, etc. And that's the way it should be! :-)

9 comments:

  1. Girl...i'm so jealous. So so so jealous that you have such a great guy...but you deserve it!! Sounds like you had such a great valentines day and that's awesome! You shouldn't feel guilty for treating yourself because wasn't that mccflurry amazing?! Yes. Good. Glad! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to hear this and I'm more than happy for you! Sounds like a great guy and you deserve nothing but that!

    (Maybe you have to edit your post. It seems like you had no dinner (only ice cream afterwards: love McFlurry!) and I don't think that's what you mean. Or am I wrong?)

    xxx Julia (Taste of Living)

    ReplyDelete
  3. note: i DID have dinner woops! sorry about the confusion! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww I can almost feel your excitment coming through in this post, Im so happy for you:-)
    Its lovely to read how food took a backseat in your life and your focusing on other things now.
    Well done for everything, the mcflurry, going out, its all amazing :-)
    I hope this works out for you,
    xox
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww!! This is so wonderful! I'm so glad to hear you had such a good night. Ben sounds like a really good guy, and you deserve to have someone like that in your life. I hope things continue to go so well between the two of you.
    xo
    Tori

    ReplyDelete
  6. holy amazing night :)

    i'm so happy for you and B haha.
    and m&m mcflurries, of course ;)

    ♥ lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just found your blog and saw that you are a dancer too! Hope you can check out my story as well. Have a good night! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You go, girl!!
    ;)

    Hook in with that gorgeous boy :P

    (Hook in is an aussie term, don't worry, I'll explain it later if you don't get it)

    Love you, so glad you had a fabulous Valentine's night, that boy sounds sweet as.

    <3
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. coco i am so happy for you! ben sounds like a wonderful guy. i am glad with him you can see beyond food and calories and feel real love ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...